Friday, March 27, 2009

All Good Things Must Come to an End

Have you ever experienced something so amazing that you just feel like you need to go back and experience it again to really appreciate it? The book The Pillars of the Earth is one of those experiences for me. With its masterful imagery and complex plot and characters this book was a pleasure to both read and analyze. With the end of the book everything seemed to be resolved in the city of Kingsbridge. The evil William Hamleigh had been hanged for killing Archbishop Thomas Becket, Tommy, Aliena's son, had become Earl of Shiring, and Prior Philip of Kingsbridge had become the new bishop in place of Waleran Bigod. With all this conflict resolution, how could Ken Follett have enough to write a sequel with? The sequel I'm refering to is called World Without End, and I'm considering reading it for my next independent book.
The way Kent Follett writes is really amazing because he is able to meld multiple storylines, characters, and themes together to make a complete novel that is both complex and is able to communicate life's simplest lessons: love, trust, courage, honor, and faith. I would recommend this great story to anyone and everyone willing to look past the daunting length and have the same experience I did.

1 comment:

  1. Alright Nate, I've got to get off to bed and there is no post yet. (Insert frowning face here) However, I am still able to make a comment on your blog in general, however, it will not be specific to your final post, as I don't have the time. Anyhow, I would like to tell you that I honestly looked for to reading your posts each friday. Why? Because I have read the novel and enjoy reading your perspectives and feelings. I simply wanted to thank you for your extensive, thorough, and thoughtful posts that you never failed to deliver each week. I have enjoyed being your BBF and will miss reading your pages. I would like to hear from you with your final thoughts and overall view on the novel, tell me what you thought. Let me know!

    Thanks,
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete